STEM: INNOVATIVE MATH & SCIENCE APPLICATIONS
INNOVATIVE MATH AND SCIENCE APPLICATIONS AT SCHOOLS (STEM)
Course Duration: 5 days
Course Fee: 400€
This course is a kind of teacher training course which aims to support school staff with a new and innovative approach to teaching Math and Science and encourage their students to learn Math & Science in more effective ways in line with the priorities of the Erasmus Plus Program.
“The best mathematics teachers will be the ones who have been prepared to empower their students as mathematicians and to teach students that mathematics makes sense.”
While all curriculum areas share some of the same issues and concerns, individual curriculum areas seem to also have concerns specific to them and their courses. The list below looks at the top ten concerns for Math & Science teachers:
1. Prerequisite Knowledge
2. Connections to Real Life
3. Cheating Issues
4. Kids with "Math Blocks"
5. Varying Instruction
6. Dealing with Absences
7. Grading Concerns
8. Need for After School Tutoring
9. Having Students of Different Abilities in Class
10. Homework Issues
The ultimate goals of mathematics & science instruction are students’ understanding the material presented, applying the skills, and recalling the concepts in the future. There's little benefit in students recalling a formula or procedure to prepare for an assessment tomorrow only to forget the core concept by next week. It's imperative for teachers to focus on making sure that the students understand the material and not just memorize the procedures. Some ways to teach for understanding in the mathematics classroom will be focused on:
1. Create an effective class opener.
2. Introduce topics using multiple representations.
3. Solve the problems in many ways.
4. Show the application.
5. Have students communicate their reasoning.
6. Finish class with a summary.
Moreover, the participants will be familiar with the Web 2.0 tools and use of digital technologies as well as the ways of fostering Creativity and Collaboration in Math & Science Classes.
As a course provider, we want to develop the teachers’ professional skills and introduce appropriate applications, ways, and methods to teach Maths & Science related to 21st-century teaching methods focusing on creative thinking with interactive and inspiring workshops in a friendly atmosphere.
All the participants will
- Identify the Obstacles in Teaching and Learning Math & Science
- Focus on the best practices about teaching Math & Science in Europe and in other parts of the world
- State the main points of common Math & Science curricula in all levels in Europe
- Define new and innovative methods and applications in teaching Math & Science at schools
- Be familiar with the web 2.0 tools and digital technologies in math & science classes
- Foster creativity and collaboration in Math & Science classes
Objectives of the course
- Modernization of your teaching style
- Developing a school policy plan on teaching Math & Science in an effective and innovative way
- Writing learning objectives
- Planning how to teach and assess students
- Finding out the ways to teach Maths & Science in more effective and innovative ways
- Covering the different types of activities that a teacher can use to modify his/her teaching skills
- Understanding the importance of group dynamic
- Improving teaching methods in relation to technology
- Managing and integrating ICT in the lessons
- Developing the ICT skills and making use of various Web 2.0 Technology tools and programs. The participants will be given the opportunity to try out and have practice and get feedback on all the programs introduced to you.
- Adapting the use of the tools to your teaching & learning situations & contexts
- Focusing on effective teaching strategies that encourage the active involvement of all students in productive educational environment
- Developing strategies to improve the educational quality of the school.
- Identifying and defining
- Working in groups
- Creating plans and programs
- Creative thinking
- Practicing and applying
- Teachers, trainers, educators, school administrators, etc.
Before the course,
- A detailed pre-course questionnaire to indicate their level of experience, teaching backgrounds, and training will be completed by participants.
- They will also prepare a presentation to reflect their own teaching method.
- A course participation certificate will be given to all participants.
- A Europass Mobility Certificate will be given if the participant demands it, as well.
- 05.02.2024 > 09.02.2024