MULTICULTURALISM IN EDUCATION
MULTICULTURALISM IN EDUCATION: INTEGRATION OF MIGRANT STUDENTS
Course Duration: 5 days
Course Fee: 400€ per person
This will be an interactive course during which the participants will have a chance to demonstrate, present, and give data related to the current situation in their own countries.
The course will mainly focus on:
- The situation of immigrant students in the education system.
- enrolment in the type of school,
- duration of attending school,
- indicators of achievement,
- school diploma.
(The current system of all the participant countries will be mentioned and evaluated in that part of the course)
- Explaining underachievement.
- Conceptual and explanatory approaches,
- Discrimination as an explanation of educational disadvantage,
- Raising the opportunities of immigrant children in education.
- Policies and measures on the societal level.
- The political and societal definition of the situation
- Structural policies in the education system,
- Teachers and preschool educators: roles and training,
(The common definition and policy and the ones in the participant countries will be focused on in order to be clearer.)
- The single school matters: policies and measures in schools.
- The teacher-student relationship
- Organizational adaptations
- The school and its environment
- Early education programs and Early childhood programs for language learning in immigrant families
All the participants will
- Learn about different policies used in the integration of immigrant students
- Be aware of the possible problems the immigrant students faced and the possible solutions to these problems
- Understand the relevance of immigrant students’ achievement and their backgrounds
- Develop a school policy to integrate immigrant students successfully
- Be aware of the roles of other skate holders at local, national, and international levels
- Find out the possible ways to prevent discrimination at schools
- Find out the best ways to create multicultural and peaceful environments at schools
Objectives of the course
- Understanding the different policies related to immigrant students in different education systems
- Understanding the nature, causes, and possible remedies for the educational disadvantages experienced by immigrant students in schools
- Seeing the relevance of immigrant students’ achievement and socio-economic origin of the country they migrate
- Realizing the importance of early childhood education and care to adopt the immigrant students to the education system and the society they live in
- Developing a school policy plan on Integrating immigrant students into the schools
- Getting aware of the roles of some other skate holders such as NGOs, governors, etc. to overcome the obstacles the immigrant students and their families face during the education process
- Working on the ways to prevent discrimination at the schools the immigrant students attend
- Tips for how to develop strategies to improve the educational quality of the school
- Creating a forum to be linked to the webpage of the course provider in order to share the personal experiences in applying the strategies learnt through the course at their venue.
- Role playing
- Case study
- Developing plans and policies
- Teachers, trainers, educators, school administrators, etc.
Before the course,
- A detailed pre-course questionnaire to indicate their level of experience, teaching backgrounds, and training will be completed by participants.
- They will also prepare a presentation to reflect their own teaching method.
- A course participation certificate will be given to all participants.
- A Europass Mobility Certificate will be given if the participant demands it, as well.
- 16.09.2024 > 20.09.2024