Health and Safety in the School Environment
Children spend many of their waking hours at school, in circumstances that are often suboptimal. Safe and healthy schools offer many benefits. The physical environment can be either a support or a hurdle to student achievement. Students perform better in facilities that are attractive, functional, safe and secure. Finally, safe and healthy schools are often environmentally friendly schools, which model an environmental responsibility for teachers and students.
This course is for teachers, school principals and directors in primary and secondary education.
This 5-day training course will give the participants the opportunity to:
• understand the concept of health and safety in the school environment;
• consider the need for organizational adaptations at a school environment for the purpose of health and safety;
• gain an overview of the school environment, from the perspective of environmental public health.
The course methodology will ensure the active involvement of the participants in all phases. More specifically, prior to the delivery of the course, the teachers participating in the course will receive preparatory material, which will cover all important concepts to be presented during the training course. They will also have the opportunity to exchange feedback with other colleagues of them coming from different countries and working in different learning environments; they will finally be able to request any clarification related to the content of the course.
The methodology of the training course is based on the following:
• use of training tools, such as case studies, videos (practice – hands on experience)
These training tools are necessary to ensure that the theoretical knowledge gained by the participants can be used in real life scenarios; an important aspect and an added value for any training course.
The course includes daily practical sessions on preparing micro lessons to be used as case studies during the training and promotes the “learn how to learn” methodology based on learning by doing and collaborative learning. The methodology includes lectures, Power Point (PPT) presentations, videos, presentation of case studies by teachers that have implemented integration strategies in their classes, workshops and exercises, and Web tools.
By the end of this course the secondary teachers, school principals and directors involved will have:
• raised their awareness on health and safety in the school environment and its importance;
• identified some of the areas of the curriculum in schools which could challenge the learners;
• gained a set of teaching strategies that will engage and encourage their learners;
• had an opportunity for post-course dissemination of good practice to other teachers.
Follow-Up: All participants are encouraged to maintain contact with their colleagues from the course and to establish contacts with teachers from other countries and regions to share experiences and difficulties encountered. Moreover, participants should work on adapting and creating materials for use within the context of health and safety in the school environment.
- 23.11.2020 > 27.11.2020 (ID: 144381)
- Registrati prima del 30.09.2020