IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF APHRODITE - Ancient Greek history, mythology & art (6-day)
Aphrodite, the goddess of love, beauty and fertility, was worshiped all over the island of Cyprus. “Cyprian” as otherwise she was called, was born from sea foam at the Cypriot coast Petra tou Romiou. Her name was linked to various myths and legends. Following the footsteps of Aphrodite, participants will have the opportunity to visit monuments and museums across the island related with her worship and in the context of ancient Greek history, mythology and art.
This 6-day course is addressed to teachers, school staff, graduated students and adults who want to enrich their theoretical background, as well as to obtain practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes in museums and archaeological places. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the ancient goddess Aphrodite (history, mythology, art, depictions)
- be informed about the myths of "Cyprian" Aphrodite
- examine the relation with the goddess Venus that was worshiped in Roman times giving a European dimension
- explore archaeological sites, monuments, museums, mosaics, statues etc. related to the goddess Aphrodite
- get in touch with educational programmes in museums and archaeological sites that are implemented by Ministry of Education and Culture in Cyprus
- discuss examples of activities/ programmes in museums, archaeological sites etc. from participants’ countries
- discuss practical guidelines to explore monuments, museums and artworks
- implement activities/ programmes across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy pupils’ age and abilities
• The Greek Mythology
• The creation of the world
• The Olympian Gods
• Aphrodite, the Greek goddess
• Activities in museums & monuments
• Art activity
• "Cyprian" Aphrodite
• Perceptions for birth
• Depictions and symbols
• Places of worship
• Learning from objects
• Group work
• Tour to Amathounta archaeological site with the Roman Temple of Aphrodite
• Exploration in the ruins. Data collevtion for group work.
• Tour to Palaepaphos (Kouklia) to see Sanctuary of Aphrodite
• Local Archaeological Museum of Palepaphos
• Tour to Petra tou Romiou coast, the birth place of Aphrodite
• Data collection for group work
• Worship of Aphrodite in Cyprus
• Myths related with Aphrodite
• ICT tools for creative activities
• Aphrodite and art
• Tour to Limassol historical center
• Activities in the city center
• Educational programmes in Museums in Cyprus.
• Examples of activities at museums & heritage sites
• Art Activity
• Visit to the Archaeological Museum of Limassol.
• Visit to Municipal Park.
• Data collection for the group work.
• Methods & techniques for museum and heritage education
• Presentation of group work
• Review of the course
DAY 7 (optional)
• Tour to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
The course fees are 480 euro (6-day) & 560 euro (7-day).
- 04.12.2021 > 09.12.2021
- Register before 29.11.2021
- 22.01.2022 > 27.01.2022
- Register before 17.01.2022
- 26.03.2022 > 31.03.2022
- Register before 21.03.2022
- 28.05.2022 > 02.06.2022
- Register before 23.05.2022
- 20.08.2022 > 25.08.2022
- Register before 15.08.2022
- 29.10.2022 > 03.11.2022
- Register before 24.10.2022
- 03.12.2022 > 08.12.2022
- Register before 28.11.2022
Rate & review
Reviews only come from verified course participants via the European Commission's Mobility Tool+. If you participated in this course, use the Mobility Tool+ to submit a review. If the course is not listed in the Mobility Tool+ yet, please provide to your project coordinator the following course ID: 97156.
There are no reviews for this course.