INTERCULTURAL EDUCATION– The Answer to Diversity in the Classroom (6-day)
Significant ethnic, social and religious groups have been part of our society. In the context of increasing diversity in our society, schools have a role to play. Intercultural Education is the response to classroom diversity aiming to go beyond passive coexistence, to achieve a developing and sustainable way of living together in multicultural societies through the creation of understanding of, respect for and α productive dialogue between the different groups. Intercultural education is valuable to all pupils in equipping them with skills to participate in an increasingly diverse society. Through programmes that encourage dialogue between pupils of different cultures, beliefs, religions and individual characteristics education can make an important and meaningful contribution to societies.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about intercultural education, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
The amount of 480 euro includes course fees, course material, museum tickets and tours .
During the course, participants will:
• acquire knowledge about the concepts: diversity, culture, cultural diversity, monoculturalism, multiculturalism, multicultural & intercultural education, European culture
• examine ways of managing diversity in classroom and creating inclusive culture in schools
• introduce the importance of understanding cultures in building relationships
• study the aims, role, characteristics and models of intercultural education
• get in touch with Cypriot communities and their coexistence; and the intercultural education in Cyprus
• discuss the integration of intercultural content across the areas of curriculum and identify opportunities
• examine the use of technology for intercultural dialogue with other schools
• plan intercultural activities and elaborate examples of good practice
• visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes
After confirming registration, participants will be informed about the details of the course (arrival, daily programme etc.). Participants will be able to introduce themselves and bring a few examples of activities/ programmes about diversity implemented by their school or community.
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves, practices and policies that are applied at participants’ schools and countries, course programme overview.
THEORY • Migration, migration in Europe, refugee crisis, challenges faced by migrant children, migration and education, education policies supporting migrant children.
THEORY • Integrating migrant students, early school leaving, the sense of belonging, creating a secure and enriching environment for children, teaching the language of instruction and the home language.
TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to Old city center, Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum and other monuments • Data collection for the group work.
THEORY • The importance of understanding cultures in building relationships, ways of managing diversity in classroom, Intercultural education role and objectives, creating inclusive culture in schools, Intercultural education in Cyprus, school and classroom planning for intercultural education, integration of intercultural content across the areas of the curriculum, Examples of intercultural activities. GROUP WORK.
VISIT TO A SCHOOL • Visit to a school and discuss with administration and teachers TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden and Municipal Gallery. • Data collection for group work, GROUP WORK.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Participants complete the group work, presentation of group work, review of the project, conclusion, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional) TOUR IN PAPHOS • Visit at Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
- 07.03.2020 > 12.03.2020 (ID: 90974, Confirmed))
- Register before 29.02.2020
- 04.07.2020 > 09.07.2020 (ID: 90973)
- Register before 29.06.2020
- 17.10.2020 > 22.10.2020 (ID: 90975)
- Register before 10.10.2020
- 06.03.2021 > 11.03.2021 (ID: 104279)
- Register before 01.03.2021
- 22.05.2021 > 27.05.2021 (ID: 104282)
- Register before 17.05.2021
- 03.07.2021 > 08.07.2021 (ID: 104280)
- Register before 28.06.2021
- 16.10.2021 > 21.10.2021 (ID: 104281)
- Register before 11.10.2021
Rate & review
In order to add a comment you must be logged in.
Great time in Cyprus!!
Translate (Registered users only)