TIME TO ACT- NON FORMAL EDUCATION THROUGH IN &OUTDOOR METHODS TO EMPOWER STUDENTS’ ACTIVE PARTICIPATION (MALTA)
Nearly half of all students feel bored at school every day with half of the students admitting to skipping school at least once or twice according to a study conducted by the Indiana State University in 2014. Although most public school children do get to go on a field trip away from school once or twice a year, it often isn’t the norm for students to enjoy nature as a part of their school day. Outdoor learning is a working method where parts of the everyday life in school is moved out of the classroom – into the local environment. Outdoor learning implies frequent and purpose-driven activities outside the classroom. Join this training and find out about activating all the school subjects in an integrated training where activities out-of-doors and indoors are closely linked together.
-to provide theoretical and empirical experiences pertaining to school education in non-formal settings, and their contribution towards developing knowledge and skills for active citizenship and quality of life.
-to learn how to motivate, guide and assess learners to reduce low achievement in key competences, develop relevant, high-level and innovative skills, enhance good quality of mainstream education through outdoor education.
-to understand non-formal education principles, within the context of cooperative learning, blended learning and flipped classroom
-to try experiential learning, experience methods of reflection and develop your ability to give feedback
-to understand the consequences of applying the non-formal methods regarding students' motivation
-to learn new non formal activities, tools, methods and to share best practices regarding outdoor education in Europe
- to exchange and develop skills of leading groups outdoors together with colleagues from Europe
-to increase participants’ confidence in working with non-formal methods in outdoor spaces,
- learn the positive power of team building activities and feel more confident and ready to re-use and adjust the practiced exercises at your own school
-to reinforce continual professional development, re-ignite lifelong learning strategies, build confidence in promoting game based strategies in education, promote pedagogies responsive to real world context
1. Welcome! Who we are ? What are you looking for? Ice-breaking activities; OUTDOOR EDUCATION for Sustainable Development: Philosophy, Policy and Practice. Challenges and impact
2. The characteristics of FORMAL, NON-FORMAL AND INFORMAL LEARNING. The differences between formal, non-formal and informal learning. Recognition of Non-formal and Informal Learning. Top 10 non formal learning methods to empower students’ active participation
3. 4. Practical workshops of OUTDOOR AND INDOOR NON-FORMAL METHODS and tools covering different topics and fostering several competences: energizers and team-building, theatre, storytelling and video-making, role-playing, simulation and team games, environmental education tools, interactive workshops, etc
5. TEAMBUILDING: The team-building process and the stages of group development ( Tuckman and Belbin); RLP( research, learn, practice) 1 outdoor activity (demonstrative workshops held by participants)
6. EU COMPETENCES: Key competences and skills for the 21st Century; the recognition of non-formal education competencies. OUTDOOR EDUCATION: Types of outdoor education; Benefits and principles; Planning and delivering ONE DAY OUTDOOR CLASSROOM concept
7. MOTIVATION: How to foster students’ motivation, participation and creativity through non-formal, informal and experiential learning activities; The extra benefit of using non-formal education methods and outdoor environment;
8. STEPS FOR FUTURE: 1 ideea 1 project: partnership project workshop ( eTwinning, Erasmus Plus ); Reflection and feedback; Course evaluation. Releasing of official course certifications.
The course includes 2 study visits at local schools.
Direct link for registration: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZI_ak1hxl8hsd5nPe6JiOmE57icLOixotEVYz7MqnSfCk6g/viewform
- 05.09.2022 > 12.09.2022 (Confirmed)
- 09.05.2023 > 16.05.2023 (Confirmed)
- 27.09.2023 > 04.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- 09.05.2024 > 16.05.2024 (Confirmed)
- 27.09.2024 > 04.10.2024 (Confirmed)
Rate & review
Reviews only come from verified course participants via the European Commission's Mobility Tool+. If you participated in this course, use the Mobility Tool+ to submit a review. If the course is not listed in the Mobility Tool+ yet, please provide to your project coordinator the following course ID: 82706.
There are no reviews for this course.