UNFOLDING 11 000 YEARS OF HISTORY- Ancient Greek history, mythology & art
The history of Cyprus is one of the oldest in the world. The first signs of civilization, traced through archaeological excavations, date back to the 9th millennium BC, covering 11,000 years of history. Strategically located at the crossroads of three continents (Africa, Asia and Europe), Cyprus has been conquered by civilizations that dominated the eastern Mediterranean at various times. Participants will have the opportunity to enrich their historical background; explore the island and visit monuments and museums.
This 6-day course is addressed to teachers, school staff and adults who have interest about ancient Greek history, mythology, and art. Discussions, site visits and group work will encourage sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the various historical periods of the island (Ancient Times, Middle Ages and Modern Times)
- search for myths and legends in various historical places
- examine how the island acquired a Greek identity through the ages
- find common historical and cultural links with other civilizations
- explore archaeological sites, monuments, museums
- discuss practical guidelines to explore monuments, museums and artworks
- experience the culture and traditions of the island
• Prehistoric Cyprus (9000-1050 BC)
• Historic Times (1050 -480 BC)
• Visit to the Neolithic settlement of Choirokoitia, (7th to the 4th millennium B.C.), one of the most important prehistoric sites in the eastern Mediterranean.
• Classical, Hellinistic and Roman Period (475 BC -395 AD)
• Visit to Kourion ancient city which was one of the island’s most important city-kingdoms in antiquity.
• Byzantine Period (395-1191 AD)
• Visit the Limassol Archaeological Museum.
• Frankish Period (1192 - 1489 AD)
• The Venetians in Cyprus (1489 - 1571 AD)
• Visit the Limassol Castle and Medieval Museum.
• Cyprus becomes part of the Ottoman Empire (1571 - 1878 AD)
• British rule (1878 - 1960 AD)
• Tour in the city center.
• The Republic of Cyprus, the Turkish invasion, European Union entry (1960 – Today)
• Art through the ages.
DAY 7 (optional)
TOUR TO PAPHOS
• Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle
- 11.12.2021 > 16.12.2021
- Register before 06.12.2021
- 05.02.2022 > 10.02.2022
- Register before 31.01.2022
- 09.04.2022 > 14.04.2022
- Register before 04.04.2022
- 04.06.2022 > 09.06.2022
- Register before 30.05.2022
- 16.07.2022 > 21.07.2022
- Register before 11.07.2022
- 20.08.2022 > 25.08.2022
- Register before 15.08.2022
- 12.11.2022 > 17.11.2022
- Register before 07.11.2022
Rate & review
Reviews only come from verified course participants via the European Commission's Mobility Tool+. If you participated in this course, use the Mobility Tool+ to submit a review. If the course is not listed in the Mobility Tool+ yet, please provide to your project coordinator the following course ID: 203054.
There are no reviews for this course.