GAME-ON: USING VIDEO-GAMES AND VIRTUAL AND AUGMENTED REALITY TO ENGAGE AND MOTIVATE YOUR STUDENTS IN ALICANTE (SPAIN)
Project Management Spain Erasmus Plus
Organization ID (OID): E10039300
Book your spot with peace of mind in PMS ERASMUS PLUS. Great FLEXIBILITY in these difficult times postponing dates or even refunding course fees in case of force majeure.
• COURSE INFORMATION:
Nowadays video-games seem to be one the biggest enemies for teachers. Students spend hours playing at home without, apparently, any benefit for their academic achievement. Their brains are hyperstimulated and ready for an action that sometimes the school cannot provide. Are we falling behind with our students’ interests? Should we change anything?
GAME ON: Using Video-Games and Virtual Reality to enhance and motivate your students course is aimed towards teachers of all levels. The course provides innovative and engaging ideas to integrate video-games through the content of the lessons and the curriculum. You will learn the details and processes that will empower you to create successful video game-based learning experiences in your classroom.
This course will introduce you into the video-games world through an educational perspective that will allow you to create awesome motivational activities in your classroom.
What team are you belonging to? Are you Game On?
AUDIENCE: The course is aimed for teachers and school staff from pre-school level to primary, secondary, vocational, adult and special needs education, staff of non-government organizations, government policy makers and company staff. Participants are expected to have at least B1 level of English.
The course is based on both theoretical and practical lessons. Participants will be able to experience what video game-based learning experiences are from the beginning. Furthermore, they will develop a transformational educational perspective on video-games, being capable to select, search and develop educational ideas with them at the end of the course.
Our methodology guarantees a full immersion experience inside the educational video-games and virtual reality world. Assistants will develop VG and VR digital skills through motivational techniques which, in the same way that we enjoy our free time playing, we create connections with educational content and assessment.
The course will be distributed in four different modules, Those modules will be divided into contextualized educational activities with their framework, practise with the different elements with computers, smartphones or Xbox, and tools for identifying the progress on the class.
Our experienced trainers will support and stimulate the networking and cooperation among participants. We organize networking and cultural activities in order to give participants the opportunity to exchange best practices and establish professional cooperation and links. In these activities will take part not only participants of the course but also other participant from different courses of PMS ERASMUS PLUS.
At the end of the course, the company will provide the participants an attendance certificate including the detailed information about the course, e.g. title, program and schedule. In addition, a Europass Mobility Certificate can be added on request.
● Get a full perspective about the video-games world.
● Develop an educational perspective on the use of video-games.
● Create your own video-game.
● Be able to create motivational elements and activities based on video-games and Virtual reality.
● Develop the basics about Virtual Reality and Augmented reality on education.
● Make known the experiences that other teachers are doing with video-games and Virtual reality in the world.
● Understand the basic principles of (video) game based learning.
● Applying non-formal learning to video game-based learning.
● Debate computational thinking.
CONNECTION TO PRACTICES:
● Techniques for developing VG motivational activities to give response to the academic needs and interests of your students.
● Video-games practices as a user.
● Tools for designing video-games activities that will engage your students while meeting curricular requirements.
● Apps practise with virtual reality and Augmented reality on education.
● Combine multiple subjects to create real-world connections
● Ways to measure the impact that VG activities have on student’s understanding and engagement.
• DAILY PROGRAMME:
The course’s trainers usually welcome participants on Sunday afternoon and give them all the course material. The main training activities, instruction and practices will take place from Monday to Friday. On another note, participants will be involved in cultural activities held by PMS ERASMUS PLUS during afternoon time, most likely on Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Moreover, on Thursday morning all participants will be able to explain their own school and KA1 project to the rest of participants and work all together to set up future eTwinnings or even KA2 projects. After that, all of them will have the possibility to enjoy an optional activity to deepen in the searching of new partners, enjoying a great day full of motivating and funny activities. Finally, there will be a course’ roundup and a final evaluation on Saturday morning and the delivery of the certificates of attendance.
Here you have below the detailed programme:
DAY 1 – SUNDAY. WELCOMING.
- Meeting and greeting.
- Individual orientation and information about the venue and the city.
- Reception of all course material.
DAY 2 – MONDAY.
- Introducing video-games in education
- Discovering Minecraft: Education Edition and Super Mario Bros
- User practise, examples and activities with their own assessment for teaching science and maths.
- Free cultural activity: discovering the city and its cultural heritage. Visit to Alicante city and Santa Bárbara Castle. Free activity included in the course.
DAY 3 – TUESDAY.
- Virtual reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) educational apps and mobile phone video-games.
- Usre practice and engaging activities and resources for teaching Sciences and Arts.
- Discovering free online video-games resources.
- Activities and video-games for all subjetcs, special focus on Reading and Language.
- Cultural activity: Discovering the city and its cultural heritage. You will visit MARQ Museum, archaeological and historical site awarded as Best European Museum in 2004. Visit included in course fees.
DAY 4 – WEDNESDAY.
- Ready to discover? Open-world video-games:
- Discovering the ANCIENT CULTURE: EGYPT-GREECE-ROME through Assassin's Creed educational mode.
- User practice, examples and activities with their own assessment for teaching History and Geography.
- Video-game Tropico 4 using methodology based on the Theory of Possible Worlds to analyze the construction of a civilization: take control of politics, culture, population, economy and education of your own caribbean island.
- User practise and activities for History, Geography, Economy, Science.
DAY 5 – THURSDAY. NETWORKING DAY.
- Networking activity: Presentation of your own school and your KA1 project with all participants from the course and other structured courses of the company.
- Networking activity: Guided session to find your best partner for a future JOB SHADOWING and/or KA229 PROJECT.
- Optional cultural activity: trip to Tabarca Island in Alicante with all participants from the course and other structured courses of the company. Guided tour with historical and cultural inputs. Boat and paella included in the price of the package.
DAY 6 – FRIDAY.
- Be critical, be practical; Bad games, motivational tools.
- Video-games creation Workshop: We will introduce the basics of video-games creation in education, teachers will be able to create an Arcade game at the end of the workshop.
- Optional lunch or dinner in the center of Alicante. Networking activity to deepen the relationship between all participants.
DAY 7 – SATURDAY. SUM UP.
- Course evaluation.
- Releasing of official course certifications.
- Participants departure.
GAME-ON will attend sessions during 2021 and 2022 in following dates:
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
- From Sunday 11th July to Saturday 17th.
- From Sunday 8th August to Saturday 14th.
ICELAND – REYKJAVÍK:
- From Sunday 18th July to Saturday 24th.
IRELAND – DUBLIN:
- From Sunday 1st August to Saturday 7th.
SPAIN – ALICANTE:
- From Sunday 10th July to Saturday 16th.
- From Sunday 7th August to Saturday 13th.
ICELAND – REYKJAVÍK:
- From Sunday 17th July to Saturday 23rd.
IRELAND – DUBLIN:
- From Sunday 31st July to Saturday 6th August.
• COSTS AND ERASMUS + FUNDING
The cost of the seven day course is 490€, including course fee, certification and support fee, cultural and sport activities in the city and organizational cost for educational visit schools. The company offers an Optional cultural package to deepen in relationship between all participants.
GAME-ON training course is tailored to be fully funded by Erasmus + to teachers, trainers, headmasters and any other staff of education organizations. Furthermore trainers can help in Key Action 1 Application to ensure that participants can get the grant and could be eligible to receive an Erasmus + grant that cover all the costs of the course.
The company will develop during the SUMMER and the EASTER GREAT NETWORKING WEEKS, where all participants of training courses participate together in cultural and funny activities. Those GREAT NETWORKING WEEKS will involve participants from all courses of the company. Every participant of each training course will have the opportunity to spend some funny time and to meet more people than in another simple course. All courses of the company include some cultural, sport and historical networking activities during the week. Activities will involve participants from other courses of the company in order to create a great environment and to find the perfect partner for future projects in common. Networking activities are designed to deepen the relationship between all participants. Moreover, in all editions we’re going to run different Erasmus + courses at the same time, just giving you different options to come with other colleagues from the same school and to enjoy together in free and optional activities that our company offers during the week.
Specifically speaking, participants are invited to spend a great networking day on Thursday in some relevant place of the city. During the morning time we’ll meet all participants together for a networking session where you’ll be able to briefly explain your own school and your KA1 project and be able to find suitable partners for future eTwinnings or even KA2 projects. In order to do that you should bring with you a presentation of your own KA1 Erasmus + Project. Moreover, you’ll have the chance to discover the culture of the country you’re visiting thanks to a great optional culture runned during afternoon time. This activity day will connect participants of different courses to match perfect partners for future relationships in European Projects. Furthermore, at the end of the week, all actors of the different courses will be asked to participate in a lunch in some special place in the city.
We aim to get an effective follow-up to stimulate peer networking, to keep in touch and to share opinions, experiences and practices for unlimited with European tools like eTwinning and other different ways of connection, such as e-mail, individual Skype calls, phone, WhatsApp or Facebook Group. Furthermore PMS ERASMUS PLUS will upload documents, videos and photos of the course on icloud, Dropbox or Google drive and will encourage all participants to share their own creation to have the maximum information in common benefits. In addition, those pictures and videos of the training course can be used for visibility and dissemination purposes.
- 10.07.2022 > 16.07.2022 (Confirmed)
- Register before 03.07.2022
- 07.08.2022 > 13.08.2022
- Register before 31.07.2022