EMOTIONAL COMPETENCES. Developing Emotional Intelligence in teachers and students
Emotional and social development are key topics affecting today all sectors of our personal and professional lives. "Emotional competence" is defined as the functional capacity wherein a human can reach their goals after an emotion-eliciting encounter (The Development of Emotional Competence.Carolyn Saarni. The Guilford Press, NYC, 1999). Dr. Saarni defined emotion as a building block of self-efficacy. She described the use of emotions as a set of skills achieved which then lead to the development of emotional competence. Attainment of the skills of emotional competence is crucial to self-efficacy.
This training will analyse the different perspectives on the main topic of "emotional competence" and lists emotional competence skills like the 8 defined by Dr Saarni and more recent ones:
-Awareness of one’s own emotions
-Ability to discern and understand other’s emotions
-Ability to use the vocabulary of emotion and expression
-Capacity for empathy involvement
-Ability to differentiate subjective emotional experience from external emotion expression
-Adaptive coping with aversive emotions and distressing circumstances
-Awareness of emotional communication within relationships
-Capacity for emotional self-efficacy.
In the frame of a training for professionals, teachers and educators in general a training on emotional competences starts from basic concepts which are quite obvious like "Emotional competence describes the ability a person has to express his or her own emotions with complete freedom, and it is derived from emotional intelligence, which is the ability to identify emotions. Competence is the level of skill with which someone interacts constructively with other people", developing a deeper common understanding focused on staff development. Educators train themselves in order to improve their personal and professional competences and address their learning to "learners".
Another individual aspect of emotional competence is the social competence, which refers to empathy towards others. It encompasses the skills we need to be successful in a work atmosphere and in relationships. It is very important to use effective communication and to know how to manage conflicts.
Teacher education, emotional competences and development education: why it matters and how to teach it.
Teaching young people skills such as active listening, self-awareness and empathy can equip them to succeed both academically and socially.
From a side this training helps educators in general to discuss and learn more, touching partly a literature belonging to "psychology"; from the other side, it fosters the common understanding of a new needed common method based on the development of the "emotional competence" skills in learners/students with whom they daily work. While psychology has perhaps been slow to recognise the importance of such emotional capacities, recent work has sought to address this lacuna. Perhaps the best-known representation of this trend is the work on Multiple Intelligences (Gardner 1983; 1993) and on Emotional Intelligence (Goleman, 1996; Mayer et al. 2000, Bar-On, 2002).
In educating nowadays - in a wider European perspective - we know the EU guidelines on the new "Key competences for the lifelong learning" (Recommendation May 2018) and other guidelines based showing the need of developing other key facets like:
-A vocabulary for feelings,
-Showing empathy as being ‘with’ others,
-Managing emotions and self-regulation.
This training will help educators to learn and improve their teaching method, firstly reflecting and improving their knowledge on these topics, widening perspectives and opening their actual work to new cooperations with other colleagues and international educators.
Teachers can be any kind of teacher working in public or private school or educational institutions
As all our programs, the present one is flexible and adaptable to special requests, depending on the subject taught or on the starting level of the participant.
Furthermore, in line with the JUMP Academy method, our courses are based on a strategic balance between formal and non formal education, indoor and outdoor education and the team takes care of a very important aspect of international mobility which is the intercultural learning which we develop with short excursions and facilitating the interaction with local partners, especially schools of the territory.
We always try to connect our learners to local teachers and students to cooperate in developing innovation and networking for future projects. If possible, inside the program, a morning is spent inside a local school, visiting, observing and cooperating in the realization of one or more lessons. The proposed program JUMP works, in European dimension and with international spirit, at local level and, according to the period of the training along the year and the weather, it is possible to change some sessions and add visits and meetings, in cooperation with our network of partners including schools involved in European projects).
1) Module 1: EU policies and trends in education
2) Module 2: Emotional competences. Today theories and approaches
3) Module 3: Education/teaching and development of emotional competences
4) Module 4: Focus on Social competence and E.I.
5) Module 5: Developing learners skills to express feelings and emotions. Exercises: building relationships and communication.
6) Module 6: Design my own learning and teaching pathway
Sunday: arrival of participants, welcome by the B&B , free time and relax
Monday, 9:30 Opening the program with a briefing from the organisers. Presentation of the team, ice breaking games outdoors and walk to the city centre. Short sightseeing in Soverato, some basic info for orienteering, history and info points.
Afternoon session. 15:00 - 17:30. Module 1: EU policies and trends in education
Tuesday morning. 9:30 - 12:30. Module 2: Emotional competences. Today theories and approaches.
Afternoon session: 15:00 - 17:00. Continuation of module 2.
Wednesday: Morning session. 9:30 - 12:30. Module 4: Focus on Social competence and E.I.
Lunch break. Afternoon session: 15:00 - 17:00. Module 5: Developing learners skills to express feelings and emotions. Exercises: building relationships and communication.
Thursday: Morning session, 9:30 - 12:30. Visit to a local school. Working with teachers and students. Lunch break. Afternoon session: outdoor emotional team building walk to Soverato superiore.
Friday: Morning session, 9:30 - 12:30. Module 6: Design my own learning and teaching pathway.
Saturday afternoon, free time. Final dinner among participants to say Goodbye to Soverato.
Sunday: departure of participants.
Certification and number of days
JUMP certifies or 36 hours for 6 days course (6*6) or more if needed adding extra hours per day. Or 30 hours for a 5 days course (6*5).
The course can be also extended to a 2 weeks course with the options 10 days or 12 days course if asked and agreed, depending on the project of the sending organization.
10 days are excluded the weekend (5+5), 12 days are from Monday to Saturday morning (6+6).
At the end of the training, JUMP delivers a formal certificate of attendance and the team is at disposal to fill the Europass certification document according to the EU model template and other needed documents for reporting of the sending institution.
Costs: the cost is fully covered by the Erasmus grant. Write to email@example.com to ask for information on costs and the services provided to plan your mobility project in Soverato with JUMP.
- 29.01.2023 > 05.02.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 29.01.2023
- 05.02.2023 > 12.02.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 05.02.2023
- 12.02.2023 > 19.02.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 12.02.2023
- 19.02.2023 > 26.02.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 19.02.2023
- 26.02.2023 > 05.03.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 26.02.2023
- 05.03.2023 > 12.03.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 05.03.2023
- 12.03.2023 > 19.03.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 12.03.2023
- 19.03.2023 > 26.03.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 19.03.2023
- 26.03.2023 > 02.04.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 26.03.2023
- 02.04.2023 > 09.04.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 02.04.2023
- 09.04.2023 > 16.04.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 09.04.2023
- 16.04.2023 > 23.04.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 16.04.2023
- 23.04.2023 > 30.04.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 23.04.2023
- 30.04.2023 > 07.05.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 30.04.2023
- 07.05.2023 > 14.05.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 07.05.2023
- 14.05.2023 > 21.05.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 14.05.2023
- 21.05.2023 > 28.05.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 21.05.2023
- 28.05.2023 > 04.06.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 28.05.2023
- 04.06.2023 > 11.06.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 04.06.2023
- 11.06.2023 > 18.06.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 11.06.2023
- 18.06.2023 > 25.06.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 18.06.2023
- 25.06.2023 > 02.07.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 25.06.2023
- 02.07.2023 > 09.07.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 02.07.2023
- 09.07.2023 > 16.07.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 09.07.2023
- 16.07.2023 > 23.07.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 16.07.2023
- 23.07.2023 > 30.07.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 23.07.2023
- 03.09.2023 > 10.09.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 03.09.2023
- 10.09.2023 > 17.09.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 10.09.2023
- 17.09.2023 > 24.09.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 17.09.2023
- 24.09.2023 > 01.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 24.09.2023
- 01.10.2023 > 08.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 01.10.2023
- 08.10.2023 > 15.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 08.10.2023
- 15.10.2023 > 22.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 15.10.2023
- 22.10.2023 > 29.10.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 22.10.2023
- 29.10.2023 > 05.11.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 29.10.2023
- 05.11.2023 > 12.11.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 05.11.2023
- 12.11.2023 > 19.11.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 12.11.2023
- 19.11.2023 > 26.11.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 19.11.2023
- 26.11.2023 > 03.12.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 26.11.2023
- 03.12.2023 > 10.12.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 03.12.2023
- 10.12.2023 > 17.12.2023 (Confirmed)
- Register before 10.12.2023
Rate & review
Reviews only come from verified course participants via the European Commission's Mobility Tool+. If you participated in this course, use the Mobility Tool+ to submit a review. If the course is not listed in the Mobility Tool+ yet, please provide to your project coordinator the following course ID: 133038.
There are no reviews for this course.