EDUCATION OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM– Learning from sites, museums, monuments & nature (6-day)
There is strong evidence that good quality of learning outside the classroom adds much value to classroom learning. It can lead to a deeper understanding of the concepts that span traditional subject boundaries and which are frequently difficult to teach effectively using classroom methods alone. Through first hand learning experiences, pupils experience the world and construct their own learning. This is an essential part of their personal development. Subjects become more vivid, interesting, and interdisciplinary. Learning outside the classroom is the vehicle to develop the capacity to learn. It provides framework for learning that uses surroundings and communities outside the classroom. A range of activities can be conducted, including field studies and investigations in the local area or further to sites, museums, monuments & nature.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about Education outside the classroom (EOTC), as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
The fees for 6-day course: 480 euro (includes course fees, course material, museum tickets and tours). The fees for 7-day course: 560 euro
During the course, participants will:
- get informed about the role, objectives and benefits of Education outside the classroom
- examine the importance of Experiential Learning and its contribution to lifelong learning
- get in touch with educational programmes in museums, archeological sites and environmental centers that are implemented in Cyprus
- examine examples of good practice from participants’ schools
- examine methodologies and strategies for implementing outdoor activities
- discuss the integration of activities/ programmes outside the classroom across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy and pupils’ age and abilities
- get informed about implementing school visits and organizing short or long activities to various sites, museums, monuments and out in nature
-examine the use of ICT tools for collecting data; sharing data & communication; for map skills; for creative activities
-visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes
After confirming registration, participants will be informed about the details of the course (arrival, daily programme etc.). Participants will be able to introduce themselves and bring a few examples of activities/ programmes outside the classroom implemented by their school/ community.
• Warm up activities
• EOTC: A new way of teaching & learning
• EOTC & lifelong learning skills
• Activities for team building
• History of EOTC
• EOTC & Curriculum
• Visit at Kourion archaeological site
• Discussion about activities in archaeological sites.
• Orientation activities & tools
• Implementing outdoor education
• Approaches for EOTC
• Tools of EOTC
• ICT tools for collecting data
• Practical issues
• ICT tools for sharing data & communication
• Activities in school grounds
• Educational programmes in Cyprus
• Visit to Limassol Old city center, Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum and other monuments.
• Doing activities in the city center.
• Data collection for the group work
• ICT tools for map skills
• Learning from sites
• ICT tools for creative activities
• Activities in museums and monuments
• Learning from objects
• Activities in nature
• EOTC in some EU countries
• Developing staff competence
• Examples of activities
• Visit to the Akrotiri salt lake, a protected wetland of international importance.
• Akrotiri Environmental Education Centre.
• Visit to Municipal Gallery and Municipal Garden.
• Practicing the use of apps in outdoor activities and data collection.
• Methods & techniques for museum and heritage education.
• Participants complete the group work, presentation of group work, review of the course, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional)
• Visit to Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
- 17.06.2023 > 22.06.2023
- Register before 12.06.2023
- 15.07.2023 > 20.07.2023
- Register before 10.07.2023
- 30.09.2023 > 05.10.2023
- Register before 25.09.2023
- 18.11.2023 > 23.11.2023
- Register before 13.11.2023
- 09.12.2023 > 14.12.2023
- Register before 04.12.2023
Rate & review
Reviews only come from verified course participants via the European Commission's Mobility Tool+. If you participated in this course, use the Mobility Tool+ to submit a review. If the course is not listed in the Mobility Tool+ yet, please provide to your project coordinator the following course ID: 132736.
There are no reviews for this course.