MUSEUM EDUCATION- Using museums as a resource in teaching and learning
Learning is not limited to the classroom. Museums are important educational environments and offer a considerable learning potential. Collections exhibited in museums provide pupils with a tangible connection with time, places, events, or people and allow them to experience the evolution of human history and cultural heritage. Learning in museums helps pupils understand the historical value of objects, respect diverse cultures and understand multiculturalism. Exploring museums gives students the ability to engage actively in the process of acquiring knowledge and to express thoughts and emotions. Effective use of museums can lead to multifaceted learning, development of critical thinking skills and acquisition of lifelong learning skills.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about Museum Education, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group work will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants.
During the course, participants will:
- be informed about the role, objectives and benefits of Museum Education
- get in touch with educational programmes in museums and archeological sites that are implemented in Cyprus
- examine examples of good practice from participants’ schools
- study the framework and characteristics of Museum Education
- discuss the integration of Museum Education activities/ programmes across the areas of curriculum in conjunction with the school policy and pupils’ age and abilities
- examine the steps of implementing school visits and organizing short or long activities in museums, monuments and archaeological parks
-take part in activities in museums and archaeological parks
-examine the use of technology in museum programs and activities -visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves, practices and policies about museum education that are applied at participants’ schools and countries. Course programme overview.
THEORY •Museums (definitions, objectives, role, kinds) •Museum Education (definitions, objectives, role, benefits) • Framework and characteristics of Museum Education • Techniques to focus students' attention.
VISIT to Kourion archaeological site- Discuss activities in archaeological sites.
THEORY • Planning Museum Education activities (choosing themes & activities, managing paperwork etc,) • Educational programmes in museums and archeological sites that are implemented in Cyprus, examples of activities/ programmes • The integration of Museum Education activities/ programmes across the areas of the curriculum • Implementing school visits and organizing activities in museums.
TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to Old city center, Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum • Data collection for the group work.
THEORY • Implementing school visits and organizing short or long activities in city centers and historic buildings (preparation, teaching plan, examples of activities). • Use of technology in Museum Education activities. GROUP WORK
TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to the Theatre museum, Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden and Municipal Gallery. • Data collection for group work. GROUP WORK
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Presentation of group work, review of the project, conclusions, certificates.
- 25.04.2020 > 30.04.2020 (ID: 107554)
- Register before 20.04.2020
- 27.06.2020 > 02.07.2020 (ID: 107557)
- Register before 22.06.2020
- 25.07.2020 > 30.07.2020 (ID: 107556)
- Register before 20.07.2020
- 07.11.2020 > 12.11.2020 (ID: 107559)
- Register before 02.11.2020
- 17.04.2021 > 22.04.2021 (ID: 107558)
- Register before 12.04.2021
- 26.06.2021 > 01.07.2021 (ID: 107561)
- Register before 21.06.2021
- 24.07.2021 > 29.07.2021 (ID: 107560)
- Register before 19.07.2021
Rate & review
In order to add a comment you must be logged in.
There are no reviews for this course.