Specific Educational Measures for the Reception and Inclusion of Migrant/Refugee Students in Portuguese Schools
The Portuguese government has set up several support mechanisms and procedures to ensure the swift and effective integration of migrant and refugee students in education and in society.
The European Agenda on Migration Working Group is an initiative by the Directorate General of Education to address the educational under achievement and barriers to inclusion faced by children and young people from pre-school to upper secondary education.
Several resources and recommendations are available mostly in Portuguese, including:
- Não São Apenas Números (It’s Not Just Numbers): A toolkit about migration and asylum in European Union designed to help teachers and other educators to engage young people in informed discussions.
- Portugal é que me escolheu (Portugal chose me): Documentary of testimonies of seven refugee citizens currently residing in Portugal, who present their stories.
- Teaching about refugees: a website by UNHCR containing free educational materials, as well as guidelines for teachers of primary and secondary education on the inclusion of refugee children and youth in their classes.
- Document (indirect evidence)
- BG; CZ; DA; DE; EL; EN; ES; ET; FI; FR; GA; HR; HU; IS; IT; LT; LV; MK; MT; NL; NO; PL; PT; RO; SK; SL; SR; SV; TR
- School level
- Primary; Secondary
- Intervention level
- Intervention intensity
- Funding source
- Local funding; National government