INTEGRATING MINORITY, MIGRANT AND REFUGEE PUPILS IN SCHOOLS
Minorities, migrants and refugees have been increased significantly in the recent years bringing changes in the structure of societies. Their efforts to search for better economic and social opportunities, often force them to cross borders and settle in new areas. The inclusion of minorities, migrants and refugees increases diversity in schools and societies. In this context, societies are responsible to formulate rules and policies. Schools have an important role to play for the integration of minorities, migrants and refugees. Through understanding of, respect for and α productive dialogue between the different groups, schools aim to go beyond passive coexistence, to achieve a developing and sustainable way of living together in multicultural societies.
This 6-day course gives participants theoretical background about the integration of minorities, migrants and refugees in schools, as well as practical guidelines to integrate activities and implement programmes across the areas of the curriculum and school life. Discussions, site visits and group works will enrich sharing ideas and exchange of practice between participants. There is also the possibility to extend the course to 7-day.
During the course, participants will: • discuss issues about migration, migration in Europe, refugee crisis, challenges faced by migrant children, education policies supporting migrant children.
• examine ways about creating a secure and enriching environment for migrant children
• discuss issues about the language of instruction and the home language
• practice activities to build relationships and the sense of belonging; to encourage teamwork and collaboration
• examine ways of managing diversity in classroom and creating inclusive culture in schools
• examine in depth knowledge of best practices & policies at school for integrating minority, migrant & refugee children
• discuss the integration of intercultural content across the areas of curriculum and identify opportunities
• examine the school and classroom planning for intercultural education
• examine the use of technology for intercultural activities
• learn about the intercultural education in Cyprus
• visit sites, museums, monuments etc. and plan activities/ programmes.
WELCOME • Participants introduce themselves, practices and policies that are applied at participants’ schools and countries, course programme overview.
THEORY • Migration, refugee crisis, challenges faced by migrant children, migration and education, educational policies that support migrant children.
THEORY • Integrating migrant students, early school leaving, the sense of belonging, creating a secure and enriching environment for children, teaching the language of instruction and the home language. Activities to address diversity in the classroom and at school.
TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Visit to Old city center, Carob Mill Museum, Medieval Castle & Museum and other monuments. Discussion about minorities, migrants and refugees in Cyprus • Data collection for the group work.
THEORY • Activities to build relationships and the sense of belonging and to encourage teamwork and collaboration, Intercultural, creating inclusive culture in schools, Intercultural education in Cyprus, school and classroom planning for intercultural education, integration of intercultural content across the areas of the curriculum, Examples of intercultural activities. GROUP WORK.
VISIT TO A SCHOOL • Visit to a school and discuss with administration and teachers TOUR IN LIMASSOL • Limassol Archaeological Museum, Municipal Garden and Municipal Gallery. • Data collection for group work, GROUP WORK.
CLOSURE OF THE COURSE • Participants complete the group work, presentation of group work, review of the project, conclusion, certificates.
DAY 7 (optional) TOUR IN PAPHOS • Visit at Paphos Archaeological Park with Roman mosaics, Paphos Medieval Castle and port.
- 09.05.2020 > 14.05.2020 (ID: 82604)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 04.05.2020
- 27.06.2020 > 02.07.2020 (ID: 82607)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 22.06.2020
- 10.10.2020 > 15.10.2020 (ID: 82606)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 05.10.2020
- 28.11.2020 > 03.12.2020 (ID: 104274)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 23.11.2020
- 08.05.2021 > 13.05.2021 (ID: 104273)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 03.05.2021
- 26.06.2021 > 01.07.2021 (ID: 104275)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 21.06.2021
- 24.07.2021 > 29.07.2021 (ID: 133801)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 19.07.2021
- 23.10.2021 > 28.10.2021 (ID: 133802)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 18.10.2021
- 27.11.2021 > 02.12.2021 (ID: 133800)
- Εγγραφή πριν τις 22.11.2021
Βαθμολογία και κριτική
Για να προσθέσετε σχόλιο πρέπει να είσαστε συνδεδεμένος.
The course was interesting, it gave us an insight to the policies and practices that can be applied for integrating migrant pupils in school.
Μετάφραση (Μόνο για εγγεγραμμένους χρήστες)