Introducing Project Based Learning in the Classroom
The course “Introducing Project-Based Learning in the Classroom” introduces the pedagogical approach to project-based learning (PBL) and its application in the classroom. This highly interactive and practice-based course aims to provide concrete examples, ideas and tools to inspire and support educators in their lesson planning.
The course explores three key challenges related to the implementation of PBL: how to establish effective collaboration among students, how to facilitate student-driven activities, and finally how to assess PBL in the classroom.
This course aims to provide teachers with the much needed tools and ideas to successfully plan and implement PBL activities in the classroom. The general aim of this course is to foster excellence in education by empowering teachers, trainers, headmasters and other education staff to implement PBL activities while sharing best practices and experiences with fellow participants and trainers throughout all Europe gaining as well a broader understanding of education in Europe.
Thanks to this course the participants will:
- Get acquainted with the key elements and growing trends related to PBL;
- Learn how to use Project planning tools and online databases to design learning activities;
- Learn how to engage students and motivate them to establish effective collaboration and develop problem solving skills as well as their self-esteem;
- Learn how to lead and deliver experiential workshops, simulation activities and interactive projects to foster students entrepreneurial mindsets and leadership characters;
- Get to know case studies that could be used and integrated in a real course;
- Exchange good practices and discuss challenges with fellow colleagues and the course trainers.
This course is open to: teachers, trainers, headmasters, school and education managers, educational counsellors, career counsellors, other school staff, other adult education staff, other higher education staff, other non-governmental organization staff, public servants, policy makers. However, the focus of the course is on the practical and pedagogical activities within a classroom environment, so the course will be more relevant to practicising teachers.
Please find below the standard indicative daily programme that will be personalized on participants needs and professional profiles.
Our standard programme comprises 7 days, of which the first one is dedicated to networking, preparation and cultural immersion and the last one to follow up, specific needs and cultural activities. Please note that we always do our best to accommodate the specific needs of our participants in a flexible way, including but not limited to budget restrictions and travel arrangements. Participants can choose to arrive 1 day before the start of the course and/or leave 1 day after the end of it in order to enjoy a deeper cultural immersion. Upon specific request we can organize longer or shorter version of this course.
- Participants arrival
- Individual orientation and information about the venue and the city
- Networking activities
- Guided visit in Bologna
- Welcome dinner
- Course introduction
- Competences ex-ante evaluation
- Ice-breaking activities
- Teambuilding exercises
- What is PBL and Why Use it?
- Reflections on current teaching practices and styles
- Components of good PBL
- Formulating your Driving Question
- Practicing, designing and delivering effective PBL activities
- Visit to local school and best practices’ exchange with local teachers
- Cultural activities in Bologna and traditional Italian aperitif
- How to foster students’ motivation, participation and creativity through PBL
- Effective collaboration of PBL inside and outside the classroom
- Guided visit in Florence (optional)
- The importance of student driven activities in PBL
- Fostering an entrepreneurial mindset makes for resilient learners
- Use of learning design tools in PBL implementation.
- Create a PBL lesson plan
- Presenting PBL lesson created
- Best practices and guidelines for assessing and validating PBL
- Create a Learning Rubric
- Dinner in traditional Italian restaurant
- Space for discussion of future cooperation and planning follow up activities
- Course roundup and final evaluation
- Validation of learning outcomes and certification ceremony
- Additional training session tailored to specific needs (optional)
- Cultural activities or additional guided visit in another major Italian city (optional)
- Participants departure
We tailor the working methods based upon participants’ needs, attitudes and professional profiles in order to ensure high productivity, effectiveness and transferability into practice. The standard methodology is highly practical and participative with hands-on approach that comprises real-job examples, case studies examination and simulations. We embrace collaboratively working methods that foster mutual learning and cooperation among participants.
Every day to assimilate and deepen the concepts successful projects will be presented and analyzed by the trainers and by other experts invited to bring their real accounts. Every day there is a daily session dedicated to cooperative design and writing simulation in groups. With the support of the trainers at the end of the course each team will have developed a full PBL lesson plan.
The training and staff team is multinational thus giving a full Europen dimension to the course.
Each morning there is an interactive wrap-up session that enables the participants to better fix and assimilate the concepts covered the previous day. At the end of each day there is a brief evaluation to improve the learning programme and adapt it to participants' needs.
Free time has been planned to give to the participants time to assimilate the concepts, develop further the group porjects (or additional projects), ask trainers for further clarifications, etc. Restorative short breaks (with cofee, tea, juice and relax) are foreseen.
Networking and cooperation among participants will be supported and stimulated at each stage. We organize optional social, networking and cultural activities in order to give participants the opportunity to know Italy as well as to exchange best-practice and establish professional cooperation and links.
The class-based course is completed by the support of an E-learning portal that is a great support both before and after the attendance in Italy.
You can find below the sessions planned. If none of these dates suits you please mind that we may organize an additional session ad-hoc for your school if there are at least 6 participants interested so feel welcome to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know about your needs. When adding an ad-hoc session we may be able to organize it in your language.
16/05/2021 - 22/05/2021 (Tenerife)
08/08/2021 - 14/08/2021 (Bologna)
24/10/2021 - 30/10/2021 (Bologna)
01/05/2022 - 07/05/2022 (Tenerife)
07/08/2022 - 13/08/2022 (Bologna)
23/10/2022 - 29/10/2022 (Bologna)
COSTS AND ERASMUS+ FUNDING
Teachers, trainers, headmasters and any other staff of education organizations are eligible to receive an Erasmus+ grant covering all the costs to attend our training courses including travel, board and lodging, cultural activities and all fees. Our training courses are tailored to be fully funded by Erasmus+ and we offer different options to ensure the best comfort and quality at a price that is within the Erasmus+ grant.
We are proud to tailor our training courses to both participants' learning and practical needs and to ease your participation at our training courses, we will gladly take care of all the practical arrangements. If you prefer, you can take care of some of the practical arrangements by yourself (e.g. meals, local transport...), though we will manage the organization of your accommodation in order to ensure optimal logistic organization, safety and time-efficiency. We always provide board and lodging in the same hotel in which we organize the course thus ensuring optimal comfort and potential of networking with the fellow participants.
The most common option that we offer to schools and organisations costs EUR 1220 and includes course fee, certification and support fee, accommodation in single room, 2 coffee breaks per day, 3 meals per day, walking tour in the venue’s city, a sum-up dissemination video and local transport during the course. For schools sending 2 or more participants we can offer accommodation in double rooms and we can provide as well accommodation for people or relatives accompanying the participants.
When attending our courses, we recommend you to request 9 days of individual support for your subsistence costs, 7 days for the course plus 2 additional days for the travel. In this way you can have more flexibility in planning your stay and you can enjoy all the cultural activities planned from the first to the last day of the course.
CERTIFICATION AND VALIDATION OF LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the course, each participant will be awarded a certificate of attendance, together - if requested - with the Europass Mobility Certificate.
We support the participants in every step of certification an d validation of learning outcomes with specific focus on European instruments and Erasmus plus requirements such as staff mobility/learning agreement, quality commitment and Europass mobility certificate.
We experienced that schools and education organizations may require additional documents to certify the competences learned or the presence in the training course. Upon detailed request we can provide those documents as well as we provide photos of the training course and a sum-up video that can be used for visibility and dissemination purposes.
WHO WE ARE
ELA (Erasmus Learning Academy), is a training centre that focus on designing and implementing learning training courses for teachers, education staff and students with the support of European programmes, especially Erasmus plus. ELA has been created by IFOM director Francesco Tarantino and is in charge of managing the initiative ErasmusTrainingCourses.com formerly managed by IFOM. IFOM keeps focusing on work-based experiences for students and graduates. ELA focuses on designing and implementing international training courses and learning mobility for teachers and education staff.
ELA offers a range of innovative and practice-driven courses tailored for educators, especially teachers. Our focus is on learning outside the classroom in a cooperative and international environment. The pedagogical methods that we use are based upon experiential training, learning-by-doing and best practices’ exchange.
We work as a hub and a network in the Italian territory where we cooperate with public institutions, schools of all levels, VET centres, universities, adult education providers and other formal and non-formal education institutions. Our main headquarter is in Bologna, where most of our courses take place, and we organize as well several courses in Sicily and in Tenerife. Feel welcome to read more about our locations and about the courses for teachers and educational staff that we organize.
We holds extensive experience in organizing international training courses for teachers, headmasters and educational staff. In particular since 2011 we organize our courses with the support of European Union funds and in the last 5 years we’ve successfully received and trained over 2500 teachers and education staff coming from all over Europe, as you can read from the reviews at www.erasmustrainingcourses.com or on School Education Gateway. Past participants appreciated our interactive and hands-on approach focused on practice and experiential training and our support in project implementation, practical arrangements, certification and dissemination. As partner, we bring a strong added value to an Erasmus plus project thanks to:
- Our experience in more than 200 Erasmus+ projects
- Our international activity and presence (e.g. eTwinnig, SEG, EPALE…)
- Our involvement as stakeholder in EC initiatives and networks
- Our dissemination and visibility capacity and support
We work in the education sector since more than 10 years, thus we know the real context, the challenges that teachers are facing every day. We regularly participate in international training and European conference to keep our know-how up-to-date. We’re experience in tailoring our courses to the participants needs and profiles thus enhancing personal and professional development.
We’ve experience in providing linguistic, pedagogical and cultural preparation before the mobility as well as support and assistance after. We know how support and guide participants providing clear and comprehensive information before the courses and making them feel comfortable and safe.
We have successfully organized board and lodging as well as social activities and cultural visits for thousands of teachers and learners that came to Italy for learning purposes.
We’ve experience in ensuring continuous monitoring and evaluation and in the assessment, recognition and validation of learning outcomes through various European tools (i.e. Europass, ECVET, …).
OUR QUALITY STANDARDS
We comply to the 10 principles set in the European Quality Charter for Mobility:
- Information and guidance: we provide every participant with access to clear and reliable sources of information and guidance on mobility and the conditions in which it can be taken up, including details of the Charter and the roles of sending and hosting organisations
- Learning plan: we draw up a learning plan describing the objectives and expected outcomes, the means of achieving them and the evaluation measures, taking account of reintegration issues
- Personalisation: we tailor the mobility based on participants’ needs and we ensure that the training course fits in with personal learning pathways, skills and motivation of participants and develops or supplements them
- General preparation: before departure, we can provide participants with general preparation tailored to their specific needs and covering linguistic, pedagogical, legal, cultural and financial aspects
- Linguistic aspects: we support the participants both before, during and after the course, we speak 10 languages do we can fully support the participants form the linguistic point of view
- Logistical support: our venues are easily accessible and based on our vast experience in mobility projects we provide detailed information and assistance concerning travel arrangements, insurance, the portability of government grants and loans, residence or work permits, social security and any other practical aspects
- Mentoring: we provide continuous mentoring to advise and help participants before, throughout and after their stay
- Recognition: we’ve vast experience in recognition of learning outcomes and we assist participants and sending organizations in the recognition and certification process including the issuing of the Europass mobility certificate
- Reintegration and evaluation: during the training we run daily evaluations as well as a final evaluation to monitor and assess all aspects of the training courses and ensure its quality, when appropriate we run an ex-ante and ex-post evaluation to assess the learning outcomes and the competences acquired, after the training we support participants in order to enhance their reintegration
- Commitments and responsibilities: we draw up and sign with the participant a learning agreement and quality commitment and we monitor that the training course comply with these standards
In addition we follow the best practices identified by the IQAIST network:
- Innovative, modern and practice-driven content
- Practical, participative and hands-on methodology
- Tailored programme based on actual professional needs
- Knowledge applicable to the real contexts and/or in the classroom
- Collaborative learning and best practices’ exchange
- European added value and exchange of best practices between countries
- Attention to personal growth and development
- Needs assessment before the training
- Distance learning support before and after the training
- Continuous monitoring and evaluation after the training
- Validation and certification of competences
- Clear communication, practical information and guidance
- Full support, commitment and responsibility
- Easy accessibility
- Cultural immersion and social activities
LANGUAGE OF THE COURSE
The course is held in English. For groups with at least 8 participants, we can organize an ad-hoc session in a different language.
Please write an email to email@example.com to get more information about it.
Die nächsten Sitzungen
- 01.05.2022 > 07.05.2022 (ID: 179515)
Bewertung und Kommentar
Bewertungen können nur von verifizierten Kursteilnehmerinnen und -teilnehmern über das Mobility Tool+ der Europäischen Kommission erstellt werden. Wenn Sie an diesem Kurs teilgenommen haben, nutzen Sie zur Bewertung bitte das Mobility Tool+. Sollte der Kurs noch nicht im Mobility Tool+ aufgeführt sein, wenden Sie sich mit folgender Kurs-ID an Ihren Projektkoordinator:Bewertungen können nur von verifizierten Kursteilnehmerinnen und -teilnehmern über das Mobility Tool+ der Europäischen Kommission erstellt werden. Wenn Sie an diesem Kurs teilgenommen haben, nutzen Sie zur Bewertung bitte das Mobility Tool+. Sollte der Kurs noch nicht im Mobility Tool+ aufgeführt sein, wenden Sie sich mit folgender Kurs-ID an Ihren Projektkoordinator: 122792.
Für diesen Kurs liegen keine Bewertungen vor.